May 30, 2004

The Art of Human Relationship

Relation, stems from relate. May be quite obvious to some. Humans, what do they do all the time besides eating? ; )
From what I see, we sure like to talk. Relate. Interact. We love to share. And if we value sharing so much, why is there still so many out there having a hard time building an effective sharing relationship?

Marriage! Men! Women! I hear all these cries in vain! We, as adults, need counselling to sort out a relationship gone wrong! What happened here?

Through observation on myself and those around me, The Art of Human Relationship is really very simply, The Art of Communication.

The First Key thing is, Be Wary, of our natural mistakes of emphasizing the key importance of 'How To' rather than Actual Real Communication. Kinda like realising the intention behind it.

If you've heard of the phrase, 'You don't need a great list of vocab to communicate effectively', well, then you would be one of the lucky ones, grasping the core purpose of communication. A top copywriter I know, once said to me, the best ads are not written with bombastic words.The best ads are written with the simplest English for the layman to understand.

Whats the use of learning a new word everyday, if I don't use it effectively across? Does saying a sentence to someone guarantees it was a successful sharing? We dont need a beautiful voice to communicate well. Nor a loud tone, nor perfect tense, a knowledgable mind nor a good topic at hand. Nor be physically intact to say the least!

The Second Key is the word effectively. Well, it means, relate in anyway, in any direction BUT As Long As The Others Get it.

Why I had decided to write this, is because the effects of non-effective communication can begin a harmful cycle of things. Eg, a broken relationship or marriage, can cause a physcological damage to a child, if not on themselves. A misunderstood friend can feel depress. A lost soul can be left behind. A never resolved issue (no matter how petty) can cause a traumatic exprerience for someone I care about, etc.

So what I realised is, no matter how I do it, I've gotta do it effectively. Otherwise it would not just frustrate others, have others misunderstand me, waste everyone else's time or have me loose my audience. It could cause a negative event around me, Caused By Me!

With this, I make my peace, to those who don't try hard enough. And also to whom I have judged in not trying hard enough. And thanks and respect to those who has the courage to keep taking the ownership to it.

With just one effort, the world may turn out surprisingly better. I mean the world we all live in.

No comments: