Jun 19, 2007

Remembering Your Spirit

The Nurture of Nature

"My spirit is honored when I think of my connectedness to the Universe."
Sidney Poitier


When Sidney Poitier remembers his spirit, his mind wanders back to the Bahamas where he grew up..

"The sounds that came to me as a boy were sounds of the environment, the sounds of insects, the sounds of water against the shore," Sidney says of walking the beach for hours by himself. "There was a purity. There was a closeness to nature. I know that it was a most powerful influence on the rest of my life."
Sidney honors his spirit when he thinks of the core values his parents instilled in him as he grew up. "My father didn't define himself by material things. He loved us. And he cared for us. And he talked to us. And he nurtured us. My mother's spirit is always around me. Always there, guiding me almost. I first felt that sense on Cat Island. I never lost that."

The virtues of simplicity and the values he learned from his parents have kept him connected to the powerful inner spirit that continues to guide him.

"I feel that I am a part of everything. I am a part of nature."

No comments: